Student Election Judges
High school students meeting specific grade qualifications are eligible to apply and be trained as election workers in Lake County. Nearly one thousand high school students have served as hands-on participants in our electoral process since our program began. Students like you have invigorated the service to voters and impressed “seasoned” election workers with their attention to detail and accuracy. Several school organizations have participated as a student government project or as a part of the National Honor Society and donated their pay to scholarship funds or to local charities.
I hope you will consider joining our team in making a difference as a “Hands-On Participant” in your community, county, and state elections. Please read on about the qualifications and application process. We look forward to hearing from you. Come serve at the heart of the election process!
Willard R. Helander
Lake County Clerk
Student Election Judge Qualifications
To qualify an an election judge, the Lake County Clerk's office requires a student:
- be a citizen of the United States;
- be a high school junior or senior in good standing or a student enrolled in a Lake County public, community college or private secondary school;
- have a cumulative grade point average equivalent to at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale;
- have the written approval of the principal of the secondary school he or she attends at the time of appointment;
- have the written approval of his or her parent or legal guardian;
- have satisfactorily completed the training course for judges of election and
- meet all other qualifications for appointment and service as an election judge.
Student Election Judge Forms
Contact your school or teacher representative for this program to request the Application and Availability forms. (For a list of upcoming elections, please see our Election Calendar.)
Student Election Judge Application form (PDF format 30KB)
Student Election Judge Application form - Spanish (PDF format 69KB)
Student Election Judge Availability form (PDF format 27KB)
Fill out the forms completely and return to your school or teacher representative. If your school does not have a representative, you can mail the completed forms to us at:
Lake County Clerk
Student Election Judge Program
18 North County Street, Room 101
Waukegan, IL 6008